Health and Wellbeing
Your health and wellbeing
Prevention is better than cure. So we’re doing more to help you stay well and out of hospital.
How are we supporting you?
- Health and wellbeing benefits
- Health Programs
- Health Check so you can learn about your risk factors
- Affordable dental treatment and extra care for kids’ teeth
- Health HQ to keep you in the know
Most members with combined hospital and extras cover can take advantage of our health and wellbeing benefits. In addition to benefits to help you quit smoking, we also pay benefits for a range of health screening tests.
Our health programs are extensive and very successful. Run by the highly regarded Remedy Healthcare, the telephone-based coaching programs provide targeted support for selected members with chronic disease or major health challenges.
When you complete our Health Check you can check your risk factors for chronic disease, get tips for managing your health and depending on your risk factor result and level of cover, you may be able to participate in a health program.
The Defence Health dental network gives members access to lower cost dental care. All members with extras cover can access the network, plus members with Premier, Value or Top Extras – and those on the ADF Total Package – will receive no-gap preventive treatment at a network dentist, within limits.
Want to be better informed about the health system and how to navigate it? Check out our blog - Health HQ.
More benefits for you
Members with the ADF Total Package, or Premier, Value or Top Extras combined with hospital cover, can claim for a range of health and wellbeing benefits.
To help you keep your finger on the pulse, we pay benefits for selected health screening tests when they’re not covered by Medicare. So you can undertake a number of the following health screening tests without a referral from your GP.
- Bowel screening kits (available from your pharmacy or online) – also known as faecal occult blood test (FOBT) or faecal immunochemical test (FIT)
- KidneyCheck (available from Amcal and Guardian pharmacies)
- Bone density tests (including x-ray and heel ultrasound) conducted by a diagnostic imaging service or pharmacy
- Mole mapping from specialised skin clinics
- Mammograms conducted by a diagnostic imaging service
- Specialist eye tests such as optical coherence tomography (OCT), Heidelberg retinal tomography (HRT) carried out by ophthalmologists or digital retinal scans
- Heart tests such as x-ray and echo cardiogram
Benefit limits apply according to your level of extras cover.
You know you want to. And we’re here to help.
We will pay benefits on the following quit smoking programs and nicotine replacement products to help you kick the habit for good.
- Allen Carr’s Easyway to Stop Smoking
- Programs offered by Quit.org.au
- Nicotine replacement products such as nicotine patches, gum, lozenges, mouth spray and inhalers specifically designed to relieve nicotine cravings
Benefit limits apply according to your level of extras cover. Benefits are not available for medication subsidised under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme. Pharmacy or program receipts must be itemised and include the patient’s name.