ADF Accident Insurance FAQs


  • What is the definition of "high risk location"?

    High risk location means a country or a specific location within a country for which the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade advises DO NOT TRAVEL. The optional high risk location cover should be purchased before deployment.


  • Doesn't the ADF pay my medical costs if I have an accident?

    Yes, but you may find you have other non-medical costs as well. For example, transport costs to wherever you’re being treated.

    If you have a serious injury, you may not be able to do your current job and will need to pay for new occupational training or you might have to renovate your house to cater for your disability, and pay for regular help around the house.

    If your partner is injured you might need to pay for someone to look after your children, cook the meals, or do the housework or shopping.

    Even if you have family and friends providing all this support you might want to have some extra cash to be able to thank them for all their help.

  • What exactly does D-Pax provide?

    If you get injured or die as the result of an accident, D-Pax will provide a lump sum cash payment. The amount of cash depends on the type of injury and the level of cover you select.

    If you apply for this insurance, you will be automatically accepted. It also includes additional benefits for your spouse and dependent children.

  • In what circumstances would I get the spouse and dependant children benefit?

    If you have a spouse and/or dependent children, and you suffer permanent loss of independent existence, or quadriplegia or paraplegia, then an additional benefit of $5,000 will be paid to your spouse or partner and $5,000 for each dependent child, to a maximum of $15,000.


  • Will the premium go up as I get older?


  • Can I have the premiums deducted by payroll deduction?

    No. Payroll deduction is not available. Premiums must be paid monthly by direct debit from your bank account or credit card.


  • Is my spouse able to apply for this product?

    Yes, as long as he or she satisfies the eligibility rules referred to in Section 2 of the PDS.


  • Does it affect my cover if I have any pre-existing conditions?


  • What professional sports are excluded?

    Any or all professional sports are excluded if you are substantially dependent on the income received from playing that sport.


  • What if my professional sport was not one that involved a high risk of injury/danger, e.g. snooker, pool, chess, lawn bowls etc? Would I still be covered?

    The type of sport played does not matter. If you are substantially dependent on the income received from playing any particular sport, it will be considered a professional sport and thus will be excluded.


  • Are recreational sports excluded as well?


Disclosure: This information is of a general nature only and does not take into account your personal objectives, financial situation or needs. You should consider your personal circumstances and the relevant Product Disclosure Statement in deciding whether to acquire this product. You may wish to seek independent advice. D-Pax insurance is issued and underwritten by AIG Australia Limited (ABN 93 004 727 753, AFSL 381686) trading in Australia as AIG and distributed by Defence Health Ltd. Defence Health receives a payment of 13% (exclusive of GST) for each premium paid to AIG.